Honey Holiday Caramels
From Medina Beekeepers
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 2 cups pure honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely chopped almonds, optional
- Line bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Melt butter in medium-sized heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add honey, cream and brown sugar; mix well.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to boil, stirring frequently.
- Continue boiling, stirring frequently, until candy thermometer registers 250°F, about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; pour into prepared pan.
- Let cool completely in refrigerator before cutting into individual caramels with a very sharp knife.
- Roll in chopped nuts or coconut, if desired, and wrap each individually in clear plastic wrap.
- Store tightly wrapped in refrigerator up to 1 month.
Caramels will be soft at room temperature and firm if kept chilled.
Makes 30 caramels
from the National Honey Board