Honey Mulled Cider
Compliments of the National Honey Board
Picture this: You’re all bundled up, watching the snow fall. You have a good book in hand and are listening to the crackle of the fire in the fireplace. Everything is perfect… Well, almost perfect. You’re missing a hot beverage, like Honey Mulled Cider, of course! Nothing says “winter” like the smell and taste of this delicious holiday favorite. This recipe is simple and is great to serve to your guests or family members after dinner with dessert or at a holiday party or office function.
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- 1 medium orange, cut in half
- 16 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 cinnamon sticks, 2 inches long
- Cut two slices (1/4-inch thick) from each lemon and orange half. Insert whole cloves into slices; set aside.
- Squeeze juice from remainder of fruit halves into a medium non-reactive saucepan.
- Stir in apple juice and honey; mix well.
- Add cinnamon sticks, ginger and reserved fruit slices.
- Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat.
Serve immediately in a heatproof serving bowl.
Helpful hint: If you need to keep the cider warm or take it to another location, you can steep all ingredients in an electric coffee urn. However, we recommend not using the urn again for coffee until it has been thoroughly washed, as your coffee will taste like cider!
Nutrition: 178 Calories, 0 g Fat Total, 1 g Protein, 0 mg Cholesterol, 47 g Carbohydrates, 7 mg Sodium, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 1% Calories from Fat